Monday, June 25, 2012

Bucket Auger & Power Auger
The hot weather season has arrived and we are very busy with irrigation.

Water management and irrigation have a greater impact on production than anything else we do as farmers. Efficient use of water can enhance production while conserving a precious resource.

I use several technological tools to determine the water needs of the trees.  Two companies, PureSense and ClimateMinder, have established sensors in our orchards to measure the  moisture content of the soil at several depths and climatic information.  The real-time information is available via the internet.  At another ranch, we use Neutron Probe technology to measure soil moisture content at various depths.  That information is gathered weekly and sent to me by email.

Because the sensors are at fixed locations, I use the tools in the picture to verify what the sensors are saying and to see how their information relates to other locations in the orchard.  I have used my bucket auger for years and it is an excellent tool.  However, it requires a lot of time and effort so fewer samples are taken.  The power auger was the suggestion of my friend Floyd Perry from Butte County.  It is faster and easier so allows me to look at several locations in a short amount of time.

These two basic tools see a lot of use during the irrigation season.



No comments:

Post a Comment